Linguine alla marinara
Chef Marcelo Fazi at Piccolina
400g fresh clams in shells
2 litres cold water
200g celery, roughly chopped
150g carrots, roughly chopped
300g onions, roughly chopped
50ml extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for frying
5 garlic cloves
1/2 fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped
350g tomato polpa (crushed tomatoes) handful parsley stems
650g black mussels in shells
250g whole shrimps, cleaned, deveined and shelled
220g squid tube, sliced
250g cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Clean clams by soaking them in 1 litre water and salt for at least an hour, then
rinse in fresh running water.
2. Make vegetable stock by placing 1 litre water, celery, carrots and onions in a pan. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain to leave liquid only.
3. To make tomato sauce, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Chop 1 garlic clove and fry with
chilli for 1 minute, then add tomato polpa, 350ml of vegetable stock and cook for
25 minutes, stirring continuously. Save leftover stock to use later.
4. Heat remaining olive oil in large frying pan, add remaining garlic whole, parsley
stems, clams, mussels, shrimps and squid. Add white wine and simmer until it
5. Remove garlic and parsley stems. Once clams and mussels are open, add tomato sauce made earlier. Cook for about 15 minutes then add cherry tomatoes.
6. Cook linguine in salted boiling water for 7 minutes then transfer to pan with sauce. Cook for a further 3 minutes; sauce should be creamy, not watery.
Scallops, rocket and pecorino pesto
Chef Fabio Genghini at Pax Romana
50g fresh rocket, plus extra to garnish
30g pecorino cheese, grated, plus extra to garnish
40ml extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
12 large scallops, sliced in half salt and pepper
300g fusilli, boiled until al dente
1. Place rocket leaves, pecorino, 30ml olive oil, two garlic cloves and a pinch of salt in a blender and blitz into a smooth pesto sauce.
2. Heat 2 tsp of remaining olive oil in a frying pan over low heat and add remaining garlic, chilli and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes then add remaining oil.
3. Sear scallops on both sides in a very hot pan.
4. Add cooked pasta to cherry tomatoes, then add scallops and toss well in pan and season. To serve, place some pesto on a plate, top with pasta and sauce, garnish with rocket and grated pecorino.
Chef Matt Schaeffer, Jones the Grocer
50ml olive oil
125g brown onion, finely chopped
35g garlic cloves, crushed bunch of thyme, finely chopped
1kg whole peeled tinned tomatoes
1 bunch of basil, washed and leaves picked
25g Parmesan rind
25g veal bacon
10g brown sugar salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan, add onions, garlic and thyme and cook for 4-5 minutes or until onions are transparent.
2. Using a blender, blitz tomatoes for 1 minute. Pour over onion and garlic and bring to boil.
3. Add Parmesan and bacon and reduce heat to a simmer. Add sugar and cook for a further 30-40 minutes or until sauce has a deep, red colour and has reduced by one fifth.
4. Remove veal bacon and Parmesan rind, season with salt and pepper then strain
sauce through a fine sieve. Serve with pasta of your choice.
Orecchiette with cime di rape sauce
Marco Legittimo, Bussola, Westin
200g cime di rapa (known as broccoli raab or purple sprouting broccoli) few slices of dry focaccia or country bread
80ml extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 anchovy fillets
20g pecorino cheese, grated
1 large red chilli, chopped
100g orecchiette pasta salt
1. Wash and trim cime di rapa, saving florettes and tender leaves.
2. Cut crusts off bread and grate to make breadcrumbs.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and fry half garlic with breadcrumbs until golden.
4. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil.
5. In a large frying pan, heat remaining olive oil. Fry remaining garlic until golden,
then add anchovies. Cook until anchovies melt and soften.
6. Place cime di rapa in a net bag and blanch in the pan of boiling water. Drain,
saving cooking water as you will cook the pasta in it.
7. Add cime di rapa and chilli to anchovies and sauté for a few minutes. Add a
spoonful of cooking liquid if sauce gets too dry.
8. Cook pasta until al dente then toss with sauce. Sprinkle with fried breadcrumbs
and pecorino and serve.